Saturday, February 6, 2010

Cookies Made With Yellow Sugar Just Don't Taste The Same

Dons favorite cookie is chocolate chip. I have not baked chocolate chip cookies since we've been here (in 4 days it will have been 6 months). Well, I had not baked them for quite some time before that as our daughter, Anna, is a much better baker than I am and we would just wait for her to come home for a visit if we really wanted some.

We did happen to put several bags of chocolate and butterscotch chips in our crate, as they don't sell our kind of chips here (and I haven't found any small chips yet). I guess that I have been holding out for a while before opening a bag...

Last night I felt like baking and went in to make up a batch but as I was getting all the ingredients out, I realized that things might be a little different with what I have to work with here.


The butter is wonderful, creamy, flavorful, from the Azores. The baking soda - about the same as ours but packaged differently, and flour - ditto, but only sold in much smaller packages. But brown sugar is so expensive and it only comes in tiny little packages, so I've just been buying the yellow sugar. It is natural cane and I think the translation would be "yellow sanded" sugar. It is like a cross between brown sugar and white sugar.

So last night I used more of the yellow and less of the white than the recipe called for and even though the cookie dough tasted nice, somehow the cookies didn't turn out the same or taste the same as the traditional Toll House cookie from home would.

Still it was a nice "familiar" but not exactly the "same" treat. Maybe it was just that Anna wasn't here to bake them. I did have one "same" with these cookies - I overcooked the last batch just like I always did back home.

No comments: