Sunday, June 28, 2009

A Call















This morning as I was spending time with the Lord, I was thinking again how soon we will be at the point of stepping into such a drastic life change. (These pictures of Lisbon are quite a contrast to the small town we live in right now.) I think people are still surprised that we are actually moving away, long term, to another country. Sometimes I'm still a little surprised, too, that God asked this of us at this time in life, and yet in looking back I can see God's hand in every stage of our lives as preparation for this call.

I'm not sure who coined this thought but it has been said that every heart without Christ is a mission field and every heart with Christ is a missionary. In a sense we are all called to be missionaries and God uses us in different places around the world, while calling some to go further distances.

Oswald Chambers wrote ..."once God has placed His call on you, woe be to you if you 'turn aside to the right hand or to the left'. We are not here to work for God because we have chosen to do so, but because God has 'laid hold of' us. And once He has done so, we never have this thought, 'Well, I’m really not suited for this.' " (I needed that reminder because I do often feel inadequate.)

Moses told the Israelites in Deuteronomy 5:32-33, "So be very careful to act exactly as God commands you. Don't veer off to the right or the left. Walk straight down the road God commands so that you'll have a good life and live a long time in the land that you're about to possess." We are not about to "possess" the land in the same sense that the Israelites were doing be we do pray that we will faithfully "walk straight down the road" that God is showing us to take, to the land the Lord has shown us.

No comments: